Oxborough History Group
NEWS AND EVENTS
The Village Hall is usually open from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm on the first Monday of every month for people to research or just enjoy the Group's archive.
Our second archaeological dig took place on 19th and 20th August 2016 on a site south of the churchyard wall (with the kind permission of Oxborough Parish Council and The National Trust). This was once the location of four cottages - details about these and their occupants are contained in an information booklet, which can be downloaded here:
Several villagers and some members of the public who were visiting Oxburgh Hall joined in the dig. Iteresting items found included fragments of clay pipes, shells, several pieces of glass, a small medicine bottle and part of the jaw bone of a dog. All these are being assessed.
Scenes from the dig:
In December 1938 it was announced in the House of Commons that in the event of a war a National Register would be taken that listed the personal details of every civilian in the United Kingdom. The Register would be used for issuing identity cards, organising rationing and related matters. Two days after war was declared, on 5th September, the National Registration Act received royal assent and National Registration Day was fixed for 29th September 1939.
The 1939 Register is one of the most important documents in 20th century Britain. As well as helping towards the war effort, it was also used in the establishment of the National Health Service. In addition, since the 1931 census was destroyed in an air raid on London and a census was not taken in 1941, the Register is the only surviving overview of the population of England and Wales between 1921 and 1951. It bridges a gap that covers an entire generation.
The History Group has a copy of the Register entries for Oxborough. A copy of the original documents and a transcription can be seen at our Open Days or by appointment with the contacts on our Home Page.
The Group put up a small exhibition in November to commemorate Armistice Day. Here's how it looked before having to be moved as a result of the theft of lead from the Bedingfeld Chapel roof:
The Group is working on a major publication - A New History of Oxborough. Publication will be in 2018.
The Group is building up an extensive archive, which PUBLICATIONS
now includes documents, photographs, maps and The Group has produced two publications - Five from
audiovisual material. It is available to research or just Oxborough and The Oxborough Roll of Honour. Copies can be
enjoy on the first Monday of every month from 2 pm obtained from the Contacts.
to 4.00 pm in the Village Hall (check with contacts for Five from Oxborough is the story of the five men from the village
any changes to this schedule). who died in the First World War and whose names are inscribed
on the war memorial.
On the Open Days visitors can bring along any documents The Oxborough Roll of Honour recounts the lives of the 23
or photographs which can be copied and added to the men from the village who went to the First World War and
Archive, or even any items that could be photographed returned; their names (and those of the five who died) are
and added to the collection. recorded on a roll of honour that hangs in the chapel of St
See under Archives for a full list of holdings. Margaret and Our Lady in the grounds of Oxburgh Hall.