Mary Maud, Annie and Ruth English
Oxborough Football Club 1957/58. Back row, l to r: George Akers (manager), Michael Richardson, 'Quack' Gooding, Gerald Suckling, 'Smug' Smith, Alan Fuller, Neil Calver, Eddie Calver (Trainer). Front row, l to r: Colin Richardson, Billy Hatton, Johnny Cox, Danny Cox, Ray Gooding.
The Bedingfeld Arms in 1900 and in 1990
Oxborough Football Club 1925. Back row, l to r: G Oxborough, J Barret, R Seymour, A Clarke. Middle row, l to r: R Hill, H English, R Woolsey. Front row, l to r: G Barret, W Chater, A Harrison, F Lawrence, H Oxborough.
Cleaning the moat in c 1912
Church Farm Lane in about 1922, showing the Post Office on the right (now 14 Oxborough), numbers 26 to 28 Oxborough left centre and the village shop on the left (now 33 Oxborough).
The car in the picture (registration number FX 4142) is a 10 hp Singer two-seater open tourer. It was first bought by the Secretary of State for War (Winston Churchill) in July 1919; it was sold in January 1920 and again in September of that year to Mrs Mary Barratt of East Dereham.
Oxborough cricket team 1926
The village had two schools:
The Hewar's Endowed Church of England Aided School was erected in 1847 with an endowment from a charity set up as a result of a legacy from Thomas Hewar, who owned land and property in Oxborough and who died in 1619. The school closed in 1972.
The Roman Catholic School was erected in 1860 by the Bedingfeld family. It closed in 1943.
The Oxborough Roll of Honour, which hangs in the Chapel of St Margaret and Our Lady, Oxburgh Hall, lists all those men from Oxborough who served in the First World War, including the five who never returned
Research on the lives and times of the 23 men who returned is now complete. Copies of the booklet are available from email@example.com
Photograph reproduced with the kind permission of Sir Henry Paston-Bedingfeld
If anybody has other photographs that they would like to share, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Only the eastern and northern walls of St Mary Magdalene Church in Ferry Road survive (they are now located on private property). The church was abandoned in the late 14th century when the then new church of St John the Evangelist was built in the centre of the village. The ruin is a scheduled ancient monument
Church of St Mary Magdalene
Shortly after 10 o'clock on Wednesday 28th April 1948 the church tower and spire collapsed. This photograph was taken the day after. (see Research: Research Reports for reports and stories on the event)
Interior of the church in the 1930s
The 1940s - the man driving the horse and cart is Fred Greef, who lived in Church Lodge (on the right of the picture)
Church of St John the Evangelist
The Presbytery 1900
The final resting place of the top of the spire - in what is left of the north aisle.
The church is now open daily to the public.
In the early part of this century the village green was still being used for farming community activities
Photograph kindly supplied by Bar Pritchard
Hall Farm c 1999
VILLAGE ENVIRONMENT (Buildings, Landscape, etc)
Alan, Rita, Ann and Barry Dent outside Oxborough Post Office in 1949
Photograph kindly supplied by Ann Dent
Site of the church and churchyard, the outlines of which are visible but nothing remains above ground. The church was in decay in the 16th century; the Norfolk historian Francis Blomefield wrote in 1739 that the church had been in ruins for over 100 years
Hewar’s School 1955
Row 1: Christine Carter (Headmistress), Bob Saunders, Peter Watson, Kenny Vine, David Gathercole, Richard Saunders, Chris Reeve, Terry Vine, -?-, Henry Lambert, Mrs Custon (Teacher), Mrs Armstrong (Teacher).
Row 2: Christine Dent, Heather Gathercole, Anne Dent, Jenny Reeve, Jackie Warren, Paula Greef, Jill Greef, Ann Fuller, John Oxborough.
Row 3: Dougie Saunders, Kathleen Fuller, Glenys Parkinson, Pamela Gathercole, Ruth Akers (?), Helen Tonks, Wendy Gathercole, Shirley Oxborough, Clinton Lambert.
Row 4: David Tonks, Robert Hartley (?), Ian Maynard, John Dent, -?-, Roy Cooper, -?-, -?-, -?-, Paul Reeve.
Hall Farm threshing machine 1930s?
Stoke Ferry Road in about 1920
Graham Alison and the village shop 1991
OXBURGH HALL See also http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/oxburgh-hall/
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Caldecote
This painting of 1794 shows the church and the east end of Oxburgh Hall, when there were many more buildings than now. The road to Foulden ran between the two at this time; it was moved to the east side of the church in 1844
Oxborough Cricket team 1955.
Back, l to r: John Parkinson, Maurice Greef, John Cox, Gordon Smith, Peter Oxborough, Alan Fuller, Bert Tonks, Reg Crane (umpire).
Front, l to r: Ken Boardman, Claude Oxborough, Jack Oxborough, David Holman, Neil Calver.
Nineteenth century drawing of the church from the southeast
The village shop in 1964
Photograph kindly supplied by Janet Courtice
Roman Catholic School pupils in 1915.
Back row: R Akers, B Cook, A Lambert, M English, A English. Middle row: H English, H Greef, W Greef, L English, E Billman, T Akers, M Cook, Miss Cobbin (teacher). Front row: F Greef, A Billman, H English, M Cook, M Billman, J English, G Akers, N Lambert.
Photograph kindly supplied by Janet Courtice
The old village hall in 1971
Sir Henry Bedingfeld in the crater caused by Zeppelins in the 1917 raid.
Main Gate c 1910
The top of the spire came to rest in the garden of Church Lodge
Winifred, Herbert and Fred Greef (standing) and Jane Greef
Two views of Chantry House (the oldest building in Oxborough after Oxburgh Hall) - in 1964 and repairs in the 1970s
The spire dominated the landscape. This is the view from the roof of Oxburgh Hall in the late 1930s
Oxborough Ferry and Ferry Cottages in about 1905
A unique photograph of (nearly) the whole of the village together. The occasion was the 21st birthday party of Sir Edmund Bedingfeld in 1936
Oxborough Flower Show 1913
Sarah and Samuel Bird and family outside 5 Oxborough (Painted Cottage). This dwelling was beside the road to Stoke Ferry, opposite Broom Covert. It was demolished in the 1960s
Frances Lambert (born 1812) seated outside the Swan Inn, Gooderstone, flanked (we believe) by her daughters. Mrs Lambert's grandson, Dan Lambert, later ran Hall Farm, Oxborough, and the Lamberts are still active in the farming community.